I just watched the Avatar Movie this afternoon around 3.30pm show in Regal 3D-IMAX in Dublin/CA. Its almost 2 hours 40 min movie and well thought out hi-fi science fiction.
Nice aspects of Movie :
- The graphics work is AWESOME! All the scenes in the movie looked very REAL.
- I heard the complete Navi clan, especially Navi female (Neytiri) is completely computer generated. That is a complete brilliant work done by Technology/Graphics.
- The Pandora’s hanging Mountains, Dragons, The Giant Tree, Mountain Banshee/Ikran, Rhinoceros like, Viperwolf, beautiful creatures in jungle are wonderful creatures that felt life like.
What could have been better :
- The fight machines/Amplified Mobility Platform in the movie seems to be replica of Matrix Movie which we have seen in Xion.
- The initial screen based computer and navigation seems to be borrowed from Minority Report/Matrix.
- Some of the scenes like mountains and terrains are similar to Lord of The Rings/Harry Porter.
- The “Unobtanium” metal – the reason why humans are on Pandora does not seem to contain any importance. This is a little silly concept and did not gel well with the rest of screen play.
- The first 30 minutes seems to be dragging and slow.
All in all, it is a disappointment for a James Cameron Movie. Perhaps the expectations are too high. What i saw was a combination of different movies and shortage of originality for the Avatar.